Saturday, February 21, 2009

Feb Update

Hello to everyone back home!
I appologize that it has been such a long time since I last updated my blog.
Things have been going very well here in Duran and time has been flying!
Since I am having such a hard time finding time to use the internet and update my blog I am going to try to update it a bit more frequently with short lil blurbs.
We´ll see how it goes.
Valdivia has been going very well. The kids are on break now so we have a good number of new kids. We are currently trying to prepare for the after school program Olympics where we will compete against the other programs in activities like relays, math and language activities, memory competitions, and other races. The kids are super excited for this so its a great incentive for them to behave well and have regular attendance. We got a donation of dodge balls and the kids absolutely love playing dodge ball. We also got a donation of a few puzzles and a memory game which has been great because we are now in the rainy season here in Duran and so we have to be creative in looking for activities for kids on the rainy days. One week our soccer court flooded so that it actually turned into a pool!! It was hillarious and comletely unexpected. Andrew and I showed up to work and found a handful of our kids with their shirts off, swimming in about 1.5-2 feet of super dirty water. So we had to send everybody home to get dry clothes. before starting the day. The following day we made newspaer sailboats and set them asail.... it was a great day and we all had a lot of fun!!!!
Alrighty well I think that is all that I am going to update for now... the sun is out again and the rain has stopped so I am going to head home and go eat. Then I am going over to one neighbors house and paint our nails and then over to Elizabeth´s where I am going to learn to make an Ecuadorian appetizer.
Enjoy the cool of winter!!!!
With warm blessings from Ecuador,
Melissa

No comments: