Saturday, September 20, 2008

Visit to Milagro

Well Today Sept 20th I met up with 5 of the other volunteers and we went over to Washingtons house together to go to a town called Milagro (Miracle) for their city festival. It was fun to be able to introduce the other girls to Ws and his family. We went to Milagro on a bus for 1.00 and got to see lots of rice and sugar cane fields on the way there. This was really neat and exciting for me to see because both were new!


When we arrived in Milagro we learned that most of the celebrations for the city festival had ended but Milagro is known for it´s pineapple and thus it has a huge pineapple statue in it´s one of it´s parks. I had seen the picture in the paper earlier this week and had learned from Ws family that Milagro was known for its delicious and cheap pineapple. After hearing this I had 2 main goals for this trip to Milagro, both of which were met


1. get a picture by that sweet pineapple statue


2. buy some of this delicious and cheap pineapple.

When we arrived at the city it was evident that the festivals have ended so that was funny but it was still a good time.
Taking a small tour of the city, visiting the pineapple statue, the cathedral and the market, we took a bus back to Duran. Once in Duran we got off at one of the bus stops and saw W go talk to a guy he knew in a white truck. About 30 seconds later he looked back at us and said ¨get in¨. What was hillarious was the way he said this.... with a tone and gesture that questioned why on earth we had not already gotten in. So up we went and 5 minutes later we were safe and sound at W´s house.


Once back at Ws house we introduced the girls to Ws dad, Seg and showed them the pretty rose garden they had and their turtle. We also took pictures of us with our pineapples and had fun showing Seg how digital cameras work. He got pretty excited (naturally because it IS pretty sweet!) and had us take pictures of ourselves seated in the house, pictures of the roses, of everything! :) It was actually really nice.


Naturally, we could not visit W´s house without being served a full meal, so after a short time of talking and taking pics we were seated and served a really yummy meal of rice with a mix of some type of beef and veggi... almost stir-fry. In the middle of eating this Seg brought over a banana to me and told me that I should eat that with the plate. Well, apparently I wasnt moving fast enough because he took it from me and opened it up for me and plopped it onto my plate, telling me that I should really try it WITH the rice and stirfry. OKAY :) It wasnt too bad but really I think I prefer saving my banana for desert. :) Then I was given a bowl of tomato soup to try (i dont know why just me.... but I was super full already so I shared it with everyone)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Melis, your blogs make me smile :) It is great to hear about your adventures!

Love, Jenna