Saturday, August 2, 2008

Finishing up orientation in OH

Well, my two weeks of orientation here at John Carroll University in Ohio have come to an end and I will be leaving for Ecuador on Monday, August 4th - which is my Grandpa Siegle's birthday.... Happy Birthday Grandpa!!! These two weeks have been quite intense. We are up every morning for prayer at 7:30 and end the day with prayer at 9. Rostro de Cristo is joined with the Jesuit Volunteers International at this orientation. It has been fun and inspiring to meet all of the awesome people here. The workshops and speakers that have made up the two weeks have been very interesting and helpful in preparing us for the year ahead. One could have one awesome roller coaster ride just by sitting on the back of my emotions in the past 2 weeks. :) I have experienced excitement, peace, sadness, fear, joy, and a several other emotions that I don't even know the names for! :) But one thing that has been consistent throughout all of these emotions is my faith that God is with me and will stay at my side throughout this experience. One thing I have found particularly fruitful during my time here is ending my days with the Examen. It's a prayer form that has more or less been tagged as "Ignation" and is more or less a time to go through your day examining God's presence in the day. I hope to post a copy of the particular method of doing the examen that I have grown to love.
One thing that has become evident in these two weeks is the power of mail!! Receiving a simple letter in the mail can bring so much joy to a day or week! So, if you want to bring me a bit of that joy please feel free to drop me a letter in the mail--- Just a simple letter, nothing more. Of course emails are great too, but with my limited computer access, snail mail is really a wonderful way to go! Drop me an email and I will send you my address (otherwise just ask my mom :)
When I get to Ecuador, my first two weeks will be orientation and then I will figure out which of the sites I will be working at.
I wanted to share a blessing that I found during our 2 day silent retreat. I really liked it
May the sun bring you new energy by day.
May the moon softly nurture you by night.
May the rain wash away your worries.
May the breeze blow new strength into your being.
May you walk through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.
-Apache blessing

I this is my prayer for all of you!
Please continue to keep me in your prayers.... I GREATLY appreciate it.

2 comments:

david santos said...

Great!!!
Congratulations.

csogrady said...

Hey there Melissa
Just wanted to say hi! I graduated from CSB in 2004 and then was a volunteer in Ecuador from 04-05! Its great to have another Bennie down in Duran! I am not sure if you met with Jessica Heinen, Jeff Aman, or Jackie Heap before you left - they are all great friends of mine! Good luck with your arrival down there and I will be praying for you, your experiences, and the people you touch!
Abrazos, Clare O'Grady
my email is claresiobhan@yahoo.com